TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Friday, January 15, 2010

Tribute to My Daddy, Part I




My Dad Doing the Mashed Potato, Thanksgiving 2009
Today, January 15, 2010, is a very special day.  It is my dad's 58th birthday!  Doesn't he look good for his age?  :)  I told him he's going to be the "new 60" and reset the standard for aging b/c of his good looks, athletic prowess, and obvious masculinity.  :)  That made the birthday boy feel good and therefore I didn't have to feel bad about not sending him a present!  J/K.

What I really wanted to share, though, is his story.  First I will share a poem I wrote for my old man when he was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer of the appendix.  I was able to visit my family in Midland, leaving behind my two kids and homeschooling responsibilities thanks to my awesome mother-in-love who pinch hit for me, and attend his surgery with my mother at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas, TX.   

I want you to know the truly great man who is my father.  You will know him from my poem.  Then I will let you know him from the letters he wrote to his family, friends, co-workers, etc. surrounding his trial with cancer.


That’s My Dad
By Shannon Lee, 2-6-07


Almost 29 year ago on April 11th of 1978,
Your ‘lil Tax Season Baby was born, a cause to celebrate!
Taking your new family home to Dengar, house number 4504,
You set out to do your BEST, exceeding past fathers, and wanting to give more.

After 18 plus years of training and providing for Shannon Lee,
I’m sure you must be wondering, “In her father, what did she see?”
Taking the time to remember and honor you makes me glad;
These are the things I keep close to my heart and say, “That’s My Dad!”

I’ve heard stories of you pushing your crying daughter in the stroller around the house,
And heard you watched me sleep “like a little angel”—creeping in and peeking quiet as a mouse.
When I was under five I cut my foot on the water sprinkler that was metal;
Inconsolable, only sitting in Daddy’s brown chair ‘till you came home made me settle.

I had my fifth Birthday in the home you and Mom built on 4607 Teakwood.
That’s where I made most of the special memories of my wonderful childhood.
Riding Hot Wheels up and down the long driveway, chasing in the open lot next door,
Hide-and-go-seek, baseball, and digging in the mud in our front planter box were highlights for sure!

Every day before school you would kiss, hug, and tell me “Shannon Lee, have a good day.”
If you had to leave before I awoke, an “I love you” note you would leave for me anyway.
Two things I have known for sure  to be true, indeed.
One: You LOVE me.  Two: You’re proud of me.  These truths have always helped me to succeed.

Perhaps one of the greatest ways you proved your love and pride just for me
Was coming home each night and eating dinner with your family.
Just before dinnertime Greg and I would eagerly wait every night the same;
The garage door would go up, in you’d walk, and “Dad is home!” we would exclaim.

Driving to my Cross-Country meets was something that you would do.
That meant so much to me and showed me that I was special to you.
It never seemed to bother you to drive all that way to see me run by only twice,
Having your support at the start and finish line was special and so nice.

Nighttime fun with Daddy was something I always looked forward to:
Watching movies and shows, wrestling, or playing games with you.
You made up games like Bomb-a-deer with the dominoes and rubber band.
You were the All-Time Champ at every game, I could never beat your hand!

Special times I remember with you were riding bikes to feed the ducks in the spring,
And boy how I loved when you would ‘blaze the trail’ and take us Coyote hunting!
Watching golf with you on Sundays and massaging your aching back for a whole hour;
Spending time with my Daddy was like the sweet aroma of a flower.

Every year you took our family  on fun and memorable trips that were special to me.
 Fishing with you at Oak Creek, Six Flags, and Wet ‘N Wild were some of  these;
Boating and skiing on Lake Texoma, Arkansas, also  tubing and ‘roughing it’  in Con Can,
Likewise Disneyworld, Epcot, MGM Studios,  Bahamas Cruise, and also Disneyland.

Laughter was always a part of times spent with you each day.
You could make us crack up at your jokes or almost anything you would say.
I will never forget the extremes of your “drama” when you’d get ill or hurt;
“I’ll NEVER walk again” or “I’ll BEAT it” you would blurt.

Bedtime fun was also a daily highlight for me.
The fun would start when we would exclaim, “Daddy, I brushed my teeth!”
You would tickle us and make us laugh, sometimes we’d wrestle, too.
You would tell us ‘made-up’ stories about two brothers  Mike and Spike—Daddy, was Spike you?

Bedtime fun and prayers are among my cherished memories,
You first  taught me how to pray “Now I lay me down to sleep.”
When I grew older you challenged me to pray
Not memorized ones but prayers from my heart, on the Lord to cast my cares each day.

The Spiritual foundation you gave me stemmed from your obedience to God;
You gave me tools and opportunities for me down the Lord’s path to trod.
Taking me to church and Sunday school were some of these;
Also Life Lessons by Swindoll, the Book, and letting me go to camp at LLYC.

My solid foundation  began when I was a wee little girl and the Holy Spirit nudged your heart,
When I was  invited by the Jones to be in a Christmas play at church, you let me play the part.
Drawn by His Spirit and His truth you responded to the Lord,
Believing Jesus as your Savior and receiving the truth of His Word.

Bringing up your family in church became a goal and mission in your life.
Each Sunday you took your family to church, your children and your wife.
Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight.”—became your life’s ring.

As I grew older, in my relationship with the Lord I grew.
Do you know how much I loved our spiritual talks and “listening to the crickets” with you?
After our 3-mile runs around Green Tree we would sit and talk about the still, small voice of the Lord;
How we could really  hear Him if we just STOPPED, and knew what we were listening for.

It would not suffice for me not to mention two of the greatest values that you taught me:
“Plan your work, then work your plan” and “Honesty is the BEST policy.”
These respectable values can be traced throughout your life;
Today I put them into practice and they give me success as a mother and a wife!

One more thing I must not fail to tell you is the example that you set
In caring for so many others—You have touched the lives of people you only just met!
Remember the clerk at the Town & Country on the Garden City Highway?
We stopped there for gas and snacks on the way home from a trip one day.

The unknown woman commented on your well-behaved kids and family.
Your follow-up response to her could have made a difference for her eternally!
You wrote and snail-mailed her a letter though you didn’t even know her name;
You shared your faith in Jesus—how He changed your life--and how she could do the same.

Though  daily  planning, hustle,  work, and energy characterize  life on earth,
Taking the time to touch others for Christ is of the greatest worth.
Though absent of suffering our impact and influence we may never on Earth  realize,
Investing in others for Christ’s sake is undoubtedly merits an eternal prize.

For all these things about you, I respect and I love.
You have also filled my life with joy and laughter, what great memories I can think of!
Your love, your affection, your presence,  your support, and your time,
Go down in history in my heart and mind; “That’s My Dad”, so sublime.

No comments:

Post a Comment