TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Friday, August 27, 2010

Garmented by God's Grace: APPLICATION (Course 3 of 3)

Course 3: APPLICATION Lifechanging lessons learned by the people of Colosse pass down down to people of the present. You see, the hand-me-down message that changed the Colossians back then changes people today. The hope of past people inspires people presently. God's amazing truth withstands the test of time; therefore, in the same way that God's generous grace wardrobed women of yesterday, so it garments gals of today. Growth and fruit perfume her life. Face dusted with God's Glow, a woman garmented by God's grace walks ready to make a difference for her Jesus.
"1Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 2To the holy and faithful brothers in Christ at Colosse: Grace and peace to you from God our Father. 3We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints— 5the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel 6that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God's grace in all its truth. 7You learned it from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf, 8and who also told us of your love in the Spirit." Colossians 1:1-8
The Grace-garmented woman thinks, speaks, walks, acts, and reacts with God-confidence. His forgiveness of her sin motivates her to accomplish these actions all the more by the power of His Spirit. Nevertheless, convinced she possesses nothing, contributes nothing, and knows nothing apart from her Jesus that saved her, the grace-garmented woman seeks Thee M.D. (Master Designer) for something to wear. It is as if daily she peers into her closet and asks desperately, "What am I going to wear? Do I have anything new to put on today?" Naked, she concludes, "TIME to go shopping."

Like browsing for those must-haves, we peruse God's word (the Bible) for the articles we lack. When we don't know what we're going to wear or simply can't find anything new to wear, we sift and sort through various departments of the Bible to find the perfect outfit to fit today's agenda. For instance in my life, if it is a Monday, something casual and functional will do. Laundry and cleaning most definitely call for  that! Especially on these days, just a glance at my sparse wardrobe reveals that my "patient" pants have, indeed, worn thin. Oh, and just look how thin my "Superwoman" tee-shirt looks. The soles on my Sketchers "stamina" sneakers have passed the point of duct tape. So my shopping spree begins...

My Mammoth Monday Determines I MUST HAVE:

"Patient" pants: The Lord meets me with a pair of pants just my size...thank you, Lord, these are just what I needed to navigate through my catch-up Monday.
  • Ephesians 4:2 "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."
  • 1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
  • 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."
My "patience" shopping spree afforded me valuable reminders for my catch-up Monday. My list and my children will challenge my patience today, but the Lord reminds me to humble myself before them both. Instead, love long like God does. He is not short with me, so, Lord, help me not to be short with them. How does the Lord deal with me? Of course, with patience. His gentle patience woos change in my heart. OK, Lord, I get it. You want me to treat my children, husband, and the grocery store clerk the same way. CHECK!

"Superwoman" tee-shirt: I resort to my simple, standard "laundry room" prayer, "Lord, help now!"
  • John 15:5 5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
  • Isaiah 40:29 "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."
  • Psalm 28:7 "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
Boutiquing for my "Superwoman" tee-shirt showed me my shortfalls. That piece costs a pretty little penny! Too rich for my blood, I can't even entertain the thought of wearing that one! Lord, I am absolutely broke. I have nothing to offer here. Forget bartering because I have nothing to trade. Lord, YOU ALONE are my source of strength to triumph over my monumental Monday. Today's mountains declare, "Impassable!" without you. Deep breath. Repeat. My heart rests in you, Lord, because I feel your power fill and encourage me. I trust that you are with me. I sense your nearness. Oh, Lord, I feel the JOY coming on! Thank you, Lord, for you are my strength, my help, and the tune I whistle while I work!

"Stamina" sneakers: Weary, I come to Him with my cares, concerns, and burdens. He replaces them.
  • Romans 15:4-6 "4For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 5May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, 6so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."
  • 1 Thessalonians 1:3 "We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ."
  • 2 Thessalonians 3:5 "May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance."


Truly, nothing can garment a woman's life like God's GRACE. We can clothe ourselves with responsibilities or fill our time with lunch with friends. Perhaps we choose to array our schedules with various appointments: with clients, playdates, field trips, shopping sprees, or at the spa (aaah!). Regardless of what activities we schedule or which mantles we wear, I am convinced that no fashion is more favorable than the wardrobe of God's grace. A woman who wears Thee MD's (Master Designer) timeless attire fades not out of style. In fact, her royally robed self, face glistening with God's grace, shines His glory for all to see. She sprinkles seeds of faith, love, and truth on others she touches by her different style and her different life, thus making a DIFFERENCE. Garmented by God's grace, this different woman positively affects her home, her community, and her world for her Jesus, offering HOPE for the hopeless!

What does your wardrobe lack? Send me hole-ly articles and we can shop for some wholly, "holy" ones together!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon,
    Thank you for this post! I was just feeling overwhelmed by the week looming in front of me, in fact the next 3 months look very crazy at the moment...but your words point me to GOD'S Grace and His Faithfulness.
    Yes, I will clothe myself in His Peace and trust that He will enable me to do all that He has called me to.
    Blessings to you and yours ~

    ReplyDelete