TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, August 2, 2010

Long arm of Lord Leaves Iphone Cord in Concord

"Ha, ha, " LOL, Matt and I joked, "I'm so Dark Ages!" When AT&T announced the option to pre-order the updated Iphone, we made plans to purchase a second one. As a homemaker and homeschool mom, an Iphone doesn't exactly rank at the top of my necessity list (as do Clorox wipes, laundry detergent, and more diapers). Even if I knew how to search for new "apps" without the help of my hubby, I don't think I'd find one for "Magical Un-Mess" or "Shortcut to Supper." Nevertheless, mid-July made me an Iphone user.

The emergence has begun, yet I have to train my mind to "think Iphone." Supposedly it should work for me--that is, if I knew how to work it. In the effort to utilize the amazing functionality of my new gadget, I set out from home last Thursday ready to depend on my Iphone. No special apps required, I planned to check my flight information via e-mail and locate FedEx Office to pick up my book proposal before heading to the airport for Charlotte, NC.

As we approached the front of my neighborhood, my Iphone displayed a plug-in to recharge sort of looking icon. "Oh no!" My phone battery was dead, yet it had been plugged in all night! Immediately I assumed the connection had lost contact and revised my plan. After a failed attempt to navigate on my Dad's Blackberry, I used my mom's old school, cell phone (ahhh, the familiar!). My awesome hubby provided me my airline and flight number plus the address to the copy store to plug in to my Dad's GPS. My new Iphone plan included "charge phone at gate while waiting to board plane."

Swiping my credit card at the e-ticket kiosk, a message appeared for me to enter the airport code or destination city I would travel to. "Oh no! I know I'm going to NC, but which airport will I fly in to?" My lifeless Iphone provided no assistance so I asked for the Airline Desk Clerk to help me check-in. After a 10-minute hold up at security, an extensive backpack search discovered I was armed and dangerous. The TSS officer confiscated pepper spray that I didn't even know I had with me and offered me the keychain attached to its cannister as consolation. 

At Gate 20, I spotted an electrical outlet and proceeded with the revised Iphone plan. "No charge!" This was no free app. My phone would not charge! "Perhaps the outlet is bad," I thought relocating to another one. "No charge!" except this time I knew I had no way to power up my Iphone because my cord was bad. I simply was out of connection for now and possibly all weekend!

Feeling quite vulnerable now as a woman flying alone without my husband to some city in NC for a weekend, I turned to look for a pay phone. I scrounged for 50 cents and dropped a quarter in the process. At last I made my call to my husband, but reached only his voicemail. The recorded operator broke in every five seconds and asked if I was "satisfied with my message" or "wanted to keep recording." I hung up after four or five interruptions and boarded the plane for North Carolina.

A three hour flight and 15 minute shuttle ride later, I checked in to a Residence Inn in Concord, NC. The manager and I laughed at his record speed to make me a Marriot Rewards member. "Tell your GM I said you should earn yourself a promotion for your 10 second flat record to register me for my reward!" Twenty steps later I paused as I remembered my Iphone problem. "I have not because I ask not," I thought to myself. "I should at least ASK the desk if they have one of those fancy schmancy Iphone charging alarms clocks." I was a long shot, but I proceeded to ask.

"I LOVE Iphones!' exclaimed the jubilant clerk. "I have four cords. I keep two of them at work! You can borrow it for the weekend. Now, this is my personal property so I would appreciate it if you bring it back when you check out on Sunday." My jaw dropped temporarily, but my heart picked up my surprise in a leap of praise! "C.," I proclaimed to the clerk, "The long arm of the Lord reached down to leave this Iphone cord in Concord. My Lord, my God, my Provider supplied my needs through YOUR hands."

Sunday afternoon I returned C's Iphone cord. I handed the cord to a different front desk assistant and shared the touching story with her. She smiled as she boasted, "We have a great staff!" I picked up a business card so I can write C. a thank you note and headed on my way. Charged Iphone in hand, I checked my e-mail for flight information. Unable to find it, I scrolled my apps and texted my helpful hubby for assistance. "Us Airways, 2653," he answered. Three hours later I boarded my flight for home.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment