TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, September 20, 2010

Make Memories with Them

Daddy feeding Rachel whipped cream!
I like to think of them as Alzheimer's days. They can be lazy days where PJ's shroud us till bedtime and we discover, "I'm already ready for bed!" Or perhaps more planning occurred to schedule one or many fun activities or entertainment. Alzheimer's days take place indoors, outdoors, or wherever adventure may lead. Maybe they involve a ball or frisbee, some H2O to splash in, or sand beneath our feet. Nonetheless, laughter, quality time, meaningful conversations, perhaps old stories, and best of all...people we love...ice the cake of Alzheimer's Days. These are the days, the days of our lives, the days we will truly remember when we get Alzheimer's.  

4 So Joshua called together the twelve men he had appointed from the Israelites, one from each tribe, 5 and said to them, "Go over before the ark of the LORD your God into the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, 6 to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?' 7 tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever." Joshua 4:4-7
Matthew and David holding Fry's Fun Farm animals, April 2010.
Time and again in the Old Testament of the Bible, we find Alzheimber Days. Typically, memorial stones of some kind were erected to symbolize a significant memory. Of course the Lord's deliverance and provision were at the heart of each monument. Moreover, these pillars served not only as reminders of God to the Israelites, but were firmly established with the intention of leaving a legacy for future generations.

One such memorial was the one we find in Joshua 4. It signified the power and provision of the Lord who parted the Jordan for His people to pass safely into the Promised Land He had granted them. God desired for that generation of Israelites to remember Him, but additionally instructed them to use the stone memorial as a catalyst to teach their children about Himself. Through the establishment of a simple, stone tower, the Lord Almighty gave parents a tangible way to point their children to the God of Heaven and Earth.  

Sibling Wheeled Vehicle Race through our living room!
When I get Alzheimer's Disease, I doubt I will remember how clean my floor was, what I wore, or the number of times I accomplished my "To Do" list in my lifetime. However, I may remember bedtime fun with the kids and Daddy, wrestling matches and all. I may remember climbing rocks and mountains with my husband and children in magnificent places touched by the majesty of our Maker. I may remember rolling around in laughter with my squishy little people (that would be my little kids) or climbing up into my big boys' bunk beds after dark to listen to their stories, feelings, and ideas. I may remember their "Aha!" moments--the times when the Light of God's truth lit up their minds with understanding. These are the Alzheimer's Days of my life...the ones I will remember.
15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:15-17
What do YOUR Alzheimer's days look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment