TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tell them the Truth, Part I

Daddy reading Bible w/ our kiddos @ a Saturday AM family Bible study
Do you hear what I hear? I apologize if that Christmas song gets stuck in your head today and it is only September. Regardless, the ability to hear a word spoken is the only requirement for this post. Actually, that is not true because you are READING this post unless you have set your competer to "speak" or the person looking over your shoulder is reading aloud. This post marks the beginning of a three-part series on Telling our Children the Truth. So, read on if your interested in speaking truth over lies to your kiddos.

I have already assured you I am not a perfect parent. Despite my imperfections, I do try to become a better and better Mom as I grow in my knowledge of Jesus Christ. My hubby says it this way, "Hopefully we are always trying to become better parents." The good news is that even though I am not a perfect parent, and my Mom and Dad are not perfect parents, and their Mom and Dad were not perfect parents...you get the idea. But God, my Daddy in heaven IS the perfect parent. So, I look to His word for guidance on parenting my children. The more I know about and grow to understand the hows and whys of His Daddy ways, the better a Mommy I become. The same holds true for you, my friend.

So, my Daddy in heaven would NEVER lie to me. I can trust Him. I can take His word to the bank. In fact, He HATES lying. You can read it for yourself in the Bible. Lying is on His list, if you know what I mean. On Biblegateway.com I found 270 references to light in the Bible. An additional 228 references to truth are also recorded in the Bible. While we're at it, I found 82 references to lying, although some of them refer to lying down for sleep and what not. God's word reminds us that truth FREES us. If we have the need to be freed that means we must be held captive in bondage by something. Either we live in the light (true freedom) or remain tied up, grappling for something or anything that can pull us out of our pit of darkess. Lies, deceit, and untruths dampen the light and the heaviness of darkness depresses our lives.

2 So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. 3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law. Nehemiah 8:2-3

After the wall around Jerusalem had been rebuilt, the Israelites assembled together for the public reading of God's word (kind of life church). Who gathered there? Look at verse 3. Men, women, and others who could understand congregated. What did they do? Look at the end of verse 3. They listened attentively to God's word. They paid attention to His words of truth.

Before I close, let me share a fresh insight I gleaned from doing just that...listening attentively to God's word. When I read this passage, "others who could understand" jumped off the page. So, I went to study it more using one of my favorite, online Bible study tools. Men, women, AND CHILDREN must have convened that day to hear God's word read aloud. Bible reading back in the day did not discriminate by AGE at all. If you had ears on your head, you could circle up and hear God's word read aloud.

While the deeper meaning (in the Hebrew) of those could hear with understanding also referred to giving respectful attention to, perceiving with understanding, and regarding to obey the words spoken, very simply it meant to have the ability to hear. The major part of its meaning plainly referred to the physical ability to hear words spoken. That's it. If you can hear, you can pay attention to God's word. In our case, if you can read this post, you can listen attentively to God's word. In the case of our children and those way-back childen in the Bible, if they have ears that can hear our voices, the words spoken by their imperfect parents, they can understand the freeing truth of our perfect Daddy God in heaven.
Next time, you're in for a real treat! Author, Speaker, and Writing Coach, Mary DeMuth, will guest post here. Look forward to checking Bible ratings with Mary in her re-post of "Since When is the Bible Safe?" How do you tell your children God's truth? Share your ideas with me!
9 Then Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who were instructing the people said to them all, "This day is sacred to the LORD your God. Do not mourn or weep." For all the people had been weeping as they listened to the words of the Law. 10 Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." 11 The Levites calmed all the people, saying, "Be still, for this is a sacred day. Do not grieve." 12 Then all the people went away to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy, because they now understood the words that had been made known to them. Nehemiah 8:9-12

No comments:

Post a Comment