TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tell them the Truth, Part III

Well stated, Mary. My youth pastor challenged me as a high schooler, "I dare you to think up any issue and I can guarantee you will find it in the Bible." That perplexed me a decade and a half ago, yet I took his word for it. Now, as a more mature Christian, I can testify as King Solomon proclaimed in Ecclesiastes 1:9, "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." Sacrificing children on yesterday's altars seems no different to me than the very sacrifices we make of them to become products of our culture today. Furthermore, I struggle to see a real difference between the graphic passages on Bible pages from the astonishing accounts we see every day in the news or on any of our screens.

After studying most of the Old Testament, I will admit that some of the stories I stumble upon DO outright shock me, too. (Perhaps the movie writers should consult this time-tested book more. It certainly does not lack content or inspiration!) Take the Sodom and Gomorrah story in Genesis 19, for example. I personally struggled over how to share it with my boys who were studying that same passage alongside of me. My husband had them read it aloud to us and asked them to summarize it for us. Then, he opened up the floor so they could ask questions. I discovered they comprehended the gist of the story but their immature minds only questioned the text as far as their minds could understand. Safe? I suppose that depends on WHOSE side you're on. Maybe the better question to ask is: Saved?

As a sinful woman, responsible for the excruciating death of Jesus that you described, I too am a contributor to the "unsafeness" of the shocking stories we can read in the Bible. I can attest that you will find some of MY mistakes written on those Bible pages that appall us. Let me also assure you that my every single life choice may not be suitable for young ears, either. Yet, when I took my "stuff" to God and His word, chewed on the choices of other people recorded in it just like me, reflected on God's character and plan to redeem people like us, I realized I was not safe. In fact, I was not saved.

BUT GOD, in His tender mercy, in His infinite knowledge, in His faithful love, provided my lifeline to SAFETY. I am safe in the palm of His hand. I am SAVED by the precious blood of His Son, J E S U S. So, the astounding, unsafe stories of the Bible offer hope. They offer healing. They offer truth not to be wasted, ignored, rejected, or overlooked. These truths are time-tested and reveal the KEY to lay hold of the treasure that IS safe and DOES save for all time. No one or nothing I have done can separate me from His eternal love written out in His shocking, divine word to humankind.

Bottom line for me: Tell my children the truth. God's word is truth. The TRUTH will set us free, INDEED. God's word of truth, like a plumbline for our lives, instructs us how to navigate the course of the straight and narrow way. It shows us the truth about God (holy), the truth about man (sinful), the truth about Jesus (the way to heaven), and the truth about abundant living here and now (joy follows saying "Yes" to Jesus and His truth). So, forget the ratings and hold on to truth that liberates our lives and unleashes the power of the Holy Spirit to maximize our mission here on earth for the glory of God in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment