TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, October 11, 2010

Let’s Make a Deal: Prayer Seeds for Bible Reads

Matthew's Carrot Harvest, May 2008
Last time I shared how a summer camp seed planted in my heart 20 years ago still sprouts growth in me today. Now I will disclose another seed planted in me at LLYC Staff Training week 6 years later. You see, my love for reading the Bible grew in my teenage years, yet I lacked a love for prayer. Sometimes I remembered to pray before I went to sleep, but that was the extent of my prayer life. Then, a pivotal change occurred in my life when my friend encouraged me, “You know how you love to read your Bible, well, why don’t you pray more?” Now, she had a good point. Plus my friend had an active prayer life. So, we made a deal: I would focus on praying more, and she would crack open her Bible. Deal sealed!

Determined to learn more about prayer, I set out for Barnes and Noble to find a book that would teach me about prayer. As I thumbed through Tables of Contents and ran my fingers along book spines, I found the one. Eager to investigate more about prayer, I purchased this brilliant colored workbook and headed back to summer camp where I would serve for the remainder of the summer. Little did I know, just as its title said, “Let Prayer Change Your Life,” that my life would be changed, indeed. Next post I will share more about the alterations that occurred in my heart as a result from discovering more about prayer.

Dear Lord, Jesus, thank you for friends and deals and new seeds to plant. I praise you for unexpected fruit and discoveries that we never thought possible. You make no mistakes. Help us not to claim, “What a coincidence!” Instead, let us perceive these incidences as opportunities to coin the wonder of your active involvement and loving care in our lives. We invite you to interrupt our thoughts, actions, and agendas through friends who love you, deals that draw us closer to you, and seeds that blossom fruitfulness in our own lives and the lives of many. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. You and this post have been an answer to my own prayer...I am really struggling with praying and "how to" do so...I put a short discussion up on Moms Together and prayer and why it was so difficult for me. Basically I am to be praying for this little girl undergoing massive brain surgery and I cant for the life of me pray it seems, I want to only ask for His will to be done which is silly considering it will be anyway. I feel guilty asking for complete healing b/c "what if it isnt in His will...is that a selfish prayer"? anyway thats the jist of it and I was wondering if this is THE book you would reccommend or if you had a better one on "how to pray" or cultivating a better/stronger prayer life. Thanks for being His vessel to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note: I posted this reply to you on my TLV FB page. I am reposting here, too. Howdy, Julie! Thanks for your encouraging comment on TLV today! In answer to your question, God used the book I referenced in my blog post AS A CATALYST. I was 19 at the time and in need of some "HELP!" w/ my prayer life (or lack thereof). ...I no more than thumbed through TOCs and ran my fingers down book spines to find that book. So, I would not say I have thoroughly researched the market for books on prayer. Nevertheless, that book gave me great tips on how I should pray (ACTS - Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication). God used it to rid my life of sins I felt unclean and guilty for. It was the product God used to instill a "prayer life" in me. I hope that helps, you, Julie.

    ReplyDelete