TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, December 27, 2010

Gifts that Keep on Giving: A Reason to Give a Legacy to Leave


Rachel learning about Jesus from her Bebe, Christmas 2010

Gifts that keep on giving. What are some of them? An education, maybe. A healthy marriage. Working appliances such as washers/dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators, and two of my favorites (my Kitchen Aid mixer and Cuisinart Food Processor). These "gifts" bless me over and over again. Whether they simplify my life or my work, or enrich them, I do consider them gifts. They do continue to give, bless, and benefit me in many ways. Moreover, these gifts span beyond myself, enhancing the life, work, and experiences of others as well.

In the season of giving gifts--Christmastime--I think of another gift that keeps on giving. It expresses one of my deepest passions in this life. Passing the torch. Legacy leaving. Heritage building. Baton handoff. Psalm 78:1-8 says it this way:

Bebe telling the true Christmas story, Christmas Day 2010

My people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth with a parable; I will utter hidden things, things from of old— things we have heard and known, things our ancestors have told us. We will not hide them from their descendants; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our ancestors to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands. They would not be like their ancestors— a stubborn and rebellious generation, whose hearts were not loyal to God, whose spirits were not faithful to him.
This blessed Christmas our family sat together while my mother-in-love passed on the true Christmas story. Using a host of stuffed Bible characters (Mary, Joseph, Gabriel, Innkeeper, Baby Jesus, Shepherds, Wisemen, and animals), our children witnessed the reenactment of Jesus' miraculous birth. Then my father-in-love proceeded to share insights with the family from scripture--challenging us to consider how the paradoxes we find in there affect our faith and to reflect the complexity of truth.

Today I leave you with this thought. You may or may not have been given a spiritual legacy from your parents or grandparents. Regardless, I submit to you that the gift of legacy leaving that keeps on giving, inspiring hope, and enriching the future of your children/grandchildren CAN BEGIN TODAY. Pick up the time-tested word of God. Read a little something. Embrace it. Share what you learned with one person today. Break the cyle. Start a new habit. Pass it on--the legacy of truth-telling--that keeps on giving.

Why? So others will put their trust in God. So we will not forget His deeds. So we will keep His commands--and live the life of legacy that gives and "gifts" generations now and to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment