TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Thursday, February 24, 2011

Covering of Friendship: My God, My Friend!

For the past couple of months, I've pondered friendship. How do I define friend? What character qualities make-up a true friend? Does age matter in friendship--like can I really consider elder women in my life my friends? Of course, I also wonder, "Am I a true friend to others?"

I've been asking the Lord to show me who my true friends are. Little by little, He's revealing Himself to me.

Today I will share a few verses that speak to the ultimate covering of friendship--that is, friendship between the Almighty God and women like you and me. He calls His humble daughters FRIENDS because we 1) BELIEVE HIS WORD and 2) OBEY HIS COMMANDS.

Consequently, He lets us in on kingdom secrets and truths that will set us free, indeed. Intimacy. Connection. The power-packed, heavenly 411 that links us with "everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness." Friendship with God is covered with the precious blood and resurrection power of Jesus. Can I get a "M-AMEN!" as my little girl says? 

Who can conceive the mystery, the privilege of being considered a friend of God?
And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. James 2:23
13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. John 15:13-15
I want to be God's friend.
What about you?

Here's a poem I wrote in 2003 about friendship with the Lord. It's the prayer of my heart for us, sisters, as we navigate our now.


Call Me Friend
By: Shannon Cochran (2003)

It is early and I am weak,
But from Your Word I pray You’ll speak.
Open my ears and let me hear
Your heart’s words, Lord, draw me near.

I want to know You, Lord of Hosts,
Besides You none other I will boast.
Your works are wonderful I know full well.
To ends of the earth I shall tell.

Keep me close-by You, Lord, I pray.
In word and deed may I please You today.
Circumcise my heart and make me pure.
For every sin, Lord, You are the cure.

Open my eyes and let me see,
Disclose your deepest secrets to me.
Call me Friend and help me obey,
Let me be about my Master’s business today.

What or whose business will you tend to
this day?

No comments:

Post a Comment