TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, February 28, 2011

Covering of Rain: Heavenly Showers of Grace for the Weary Heart

Snow. Forever Promises. The Womb. Friendship with God. These are four “coverings” that sooth my soul. They calm my anxious heart and remind me of God’s limitless grace. Although this isn’t an exhaustive list of the merciful coverings the Lord has shown me, I’ll conclude this month with the covering of rain.

I was a busy mom of two boys at the time. In the throes of homeschooling our oldest son, chasing my two year old, serving as the administrator of a national, homeschool baseball program, and co-leading a weekly in-home Bible study for nine neighborhood boys, I felt stretched. Throw in weekly grocery store runs, Bible study, maintaining our two-bit apartment, cooking, and taking care of my hubby, it would be reasonable to find me praying, “Hold on moonshine, burn longer sun!”

Does your Do List ever get the best of you? Can you relate to the busyness that being a mom affords, and the weariness of heart, her yoke? With each passing day, the Do List seems to grow from today’s “do’s” not accomplished. I guess they’ll have to be transferred to tomorrow’s list instead. I haven’t even addressed the mommy guilt that weighs perhaps even more heavy than list items not crossed off.

Then the Lord awoke me with the covering of His character in the rain. Split. Splat. Split, split, splat. Splitter, splatter, splatter, split. In the stillness of the morning, I listened to the splitter splattering rain. The Lord spoke His mercy and grace over my heart. “Today, my child, look for my character in the rain.”

God’s Character in the Rain
By: Shannon L. Cochran 03.05.04

I look for your character during the day,
In each situation along the way.
I’ll look for your character, even in pain;
Today your character is seen in the rain.

You know my heart, its desires too.
I am overwhelmed—so much to do!
But the Lord, my Help!, takes my hand
And walks me, step by step, through His plan.

This good work in me, HE WILL DO.
His grace and strength will see me through.
After all, this work is for Him.
Let my legs never weary or faith grow dim.

Oh faithful Lord, for the rain I thank you.
It covers me so this work I can do.
Your peaceful rain, for me, is a treat!
So these tasks I accomplish absent of defeat.

No guilt I will feel for not going outside;
This rain is a blessing, in your love I abide.
Thank you, Lord, for your mercy today
In the shower of blessing that flows my way.

So, eagerly I went about my tasks that day. Homeschooling and diaper changes still occupied my schedule. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks still were prepared in my small kitchen. I squeaked in a bathroom spit-shine and vacuumed out of the room as I laid my toddler son down for a nap. Off to draft a letter for the baseball Board to peruse, before it was time to make dinner. Then, my oldest son helped me bag up snacks for Bible Club after school.

Nothing changed from my ordinary that day, except for my perspective. Thank you, Lord, for strengthening my hands and filling my heart with love for these precious sons while I teach and nurture them. What a blessing I have a home to clean and food to cook, eat, and share! Gracious Lord, thank you for granting me just enough time to accomplish my home, work, and ministry-related tasks! Thank you for the covering of rain today!

Sometimes we just need a rain day! It’s OK to accept days like these that seem to S L O W us down a bit. Instead of grumbling how the showers have dampened our plans, let’s thank the Lord for His covering of mercy and grace. Let’s relinquish our feelings of guilt and defeat that so easily bog us down. Breathe. Smile. Laugh. Love. Live this day out in the strength of the Lord, in step with His Spirit, and in search of His character…even in the rain.

Share how you’ve experienced God’s character
in the covering of rain.

1 comment: