TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, March 14, 2011

What Makes our House a Home: Family Dinner – ‘Cause Mama Says So

Commitment to Christ is the foundation of our home. It grounds all other functions of our household, influencing how we think, speak, and behave. Jesus is the rock this home is built upon, and Just being “Us” Together erects the framework. Yet, when the messiness of earthly life creates tremors that rattle our walls or when things get a little sticky around here, we can choose to laugh. Why? We’re confidently secure because we’re rooted in the everlasting God—He is our dwelling place.

Now let me share a little household secret with you. Except for when we sleep at night, there’s a place in our home that we spend more time than any other location here. We have school there. Breakfast, Second Breakfast, and a couple of snacks, too. Art projects commence there, along with games, grime, and plenty of good conversation. The dinner table hosts more relating in this household than any other place within our abode.

Yet six years ago, I sat on the couch next to my husband, our living room dim for the sun was setting. My heart sunk, heavy, as it felt like one of my most cherished family times would also set. Our children had come of age and would soon participate in extracurricular sports. “Our simple nights will be gone,” I lamented tearfully. “I will miss our family dinners together.”

Of course, my sweet husband tried to comfort me and shed some perspective on the situation. “We can still eat together most nights. We’ll figure it out.” He was right. So was I. Adding extra commitments to our schedule would no doubt challenge family dinnertime, but did they doom it?

We have time for what we make time for, I learned. Again, it goes back to priorities. If family dinner was really so important to me, then I’d just have to get creative (and organized). Now, I don’t have it all figured out by any means, but being aware of the threat “other things” have on my family motivates me to fight for what is truly valuable to me.

Here are some ways I keep family dinner on the schedule…

1) We sit down to eat together on nights w/o commitments—cause Mama says so!

2) I prepare dinner early on nights w/ scheduled activities so we can eat a home cooked meal.

3) Or I plan leftovers, crockpot meals, pack a picnic, or make hot/cold dishes when we have games.

4) We set aside other, regular times to eat together such as Saturday Morning breakfast (future post).

5) We use driving time en route to/from sports to talk just like we do during family dinner.

6) I employ my kids’ help—sometimes food prep, “Dinner Duties” (future post), and clean-up.

7) To save on time, not trees, but to preserve memories…We dine fine on…Chin…ette!

Is family dinnertime important to you?
Share your tips with me!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Since our little family of 3 is not always under the same roof everyday, Finley and I eat our supper together when Jeremy is at work. I most certainly agree, dinnertime is family time, so last night I packed up Finley and took her to the fire station so we could in deed have dinner as a family. I prepared our dinner while Finley went to play outside with her daddy. It made momma happy and it was a nice suprise for both Finley and daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment, Momma Morris! :) What a sweet way to make family dinner a priority for your household! I love your creativity, flexibility, and desire to think outside the box to unite your fireman and your Finley--the Morris FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Most definitely. My kids are young yet, 5 & 2 years and I'm trying to make this a very important part of our day. Some days its hectic. I need to be a better meal planner! We have a little chalk board on the wall with 3 dinner time rules, which the kids were a part of creating!

    ReplyDelete