TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Thursday, March 10, 2011

What Makes our House a Home: Laughter--the Medication of Messiness

“Come again, son?” There was an accident, Mommy. “Breathe. Always remember to breathe,“ I coach myself, not knowing exactly what I'll discover. Apple juice and shattered glass all over my kitchen floor. Yep. One gallon of it. Fresh, unfiltered, organic apple goodness bathing my tile with stickiness. “It will be OK, son,” I sigh and thank him for helping carry in groceries. “We’ll have to cancel our trip to the park because we won’t have time to clean this up AND go to the park before Daddy gets home for dinner.”

Freshly mopped kitchen floor. A certain child’s spilled stir-fry dinner to cover it. “Yeah!” I think to myself, “I’m so glad I finished steam cleaning my carpets!” 2 AM surprise…7 patches of spaghetti thrown up en route to tell Mommy, “I feel sick.” Feeling relieved we caught up in our homeschool after the “Baby Break.” “Uhm, Mommy, my computer isn’t working.” Come to find out there was an accident with that as well…house goes to pot while I chat with Tech Support how to recover lost school data.

Two choices: Laugh or cry. Seriously. When these series of unfortunate events characterize my everydays, I can choose to look up with a laugh or frown downcast, Oh my soul! What will I choose? How will I respond? Every moment of every day, I have to make a choice!

But this is what I know to be true…

A happy heart makes the face cheerful,
but heartache crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:13

All the days of the oppressed are wretched,
but the cheerful heart has a continual feast. Proverbs 15:15

A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

…So, I will choose to medicate my moments with laughter. Yes, to choose joy and thanksgiving over negativity and grumbling. No, my circumstances don’t change. I still have to sift glass from sticky. I still warn, “Stay out of the kitchen, so you don’t cut your feet!” And that spaghetti rerun trailing my carpet wasn’t about to clean itself up without my assistance. Lost schoolwork? Thank the Lord for Daddy’s laptop, Tech Support, and naptime.

Laughter makes my house a home. Whether it offers me perspective when I’m inconvenienced or characterizes the freedom I experience when I’m fully at play with my husband and children, cheerfulness heals hearts. It mends the messiness that this life momentarily brings. Laughter lifts my spirit, enabling me to rejoice when it is hard, to be thankful when trials present, and to love the people that live in this home…even when it’s sticky.

Laugh or cry--What will you choose?

What Makes our House a Home?

2 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    That is so familiar to sooo many Moms! Sometimes I find a smile through frustrated tears :)
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving your thoghts here, Jamie. Sometimes it helps to know we're not alone! :) Enjoy your precious children...and keep smiling even when it's sticky!

    Nehemiah 8:10--May the JOY of the Lord be our strength!

    ReplyDelete