TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Thursday, April 28, 2011

“Some One Older Than You”: A Vintage Poem from my Great Grandmother!

Friends, today I will share a very special vintage treasure from "Some One Older Than [Me]." My Great Grandmother, "Lela B," to be exact. She was quite a poet, I found out, when her daughter (my Nana) shared a relic of hers with me!

Five years ago, my Nana entrusted her mother's journal to me--A real wood scrapbook, engraved, and bound three times by leather laces. Inside, yellowed pages, brittle and frail with time, rehearse timeless truths. Poems--75 or more--pecked out on a typewriter impress thoughts and truths and tips and tokens of old to the listening ear.

Preservation of these precious gems means passing them on or they'll pass away. So, today I'll share "Some One Older Than You" in preparation for our special May topic: "Mothers." ASIDE: Nana, thank you for my vintage treasure! This post is especially for you!  

How pleasant it is that always
There’s somebody older than you
Someone to pet and caress you
Someone to scold you too.

Some one to call you a baby
To laugh at you when you’re wise
Someone to care when you’re sorry
To kiss the tears from your eyes.

When life has begun to be weary
And youth to melt like the dew
To know, like the little children
Somebody’s older than you.

The path cannot be so lonely
For some one has trod it before
The golden gates are the nearer
That some one stands at the door.

I can think of nothing sadder
Than to feel when days are few
There’s nobody left to lean on
Nobody older than you.

The younger ones may be tender
To the feeble steps and slow
But they can’t talk the old times over
Alas! How should they know?

‘T’s a romance to them – a wonder
You were ever a child at play,
But the dear ones waiting in heaven
Know it is all as you say.

I know that the great All-Father
Loves us, and the little ones too.
Keep only child-like-hearted
Heaven is older than you.

Do you value 'older' people in your life?
Whom do you look up to or respect as 'some one older than you'? 

No comments:

Post a Comment