TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, April 25, 2011

Underneath the Easter Dress: Trade your Inward "Ick" for Victory

Easter Sunday morning. Birds singing sweetly in swaying trees, wind whispering, “Hallelujah.” Sunshine gleaming. In 40 minutes of peace before my babies awake, I ponder that morning.

At the cock-crow, women carry spices. “There’s a stone there. How will we heave it away? I can barely muscle this load!” However, there they found the stone rolled away and an angel wrapped in white. “You’re looking for Jesus—He is RISEN. Go to Galilee. Tell Peter and the disciples. You’ll find Jesus there.” So, bewildered, they silently fled. Anything but peaceful.

Then my kids arise. We put on our Easter pretties. I delegate orders. Get yourself dressed. Make yourself breakfast. Pour cereal for your little siblings. Feed the dog. Fix your brother’s hair and get his socks. Meanwhile, Mommy and Daddy continue our morning routines, so we will make it to church on time.

My family did clean up nice in our Easter clothes. And we did make it to church on time. Nevertheless, like that Resurrection morning, ours was anything but peaceful.

“Stop it!” “He’s pushing me!” “No, Mommy. WAAAAAAHHHHH!” “He’s not listening to me.” Quarrels over who will do the dishes and how they’ll be loaded. These detail just a handful of exasperations that took place in our home and car Easter morning.

As I looked into the big blue eyes of my baby girl, thick with lashes, I spoke, “THIS is why Jesus died. For our sin. But today we remember HE IS RISEN! Jesus Christ is ALIVE!” And I launched into song, “He’s Alive, Alive, my Jesus is Alive. Alive for ever more. Sing Hallelujah. Sing Hallelujah. My Jesus is ALIVE!”

Friends, Jesus died to pay for what’s underneath the Easter dress. Wretched hearts. Heinous thoughts. Poisonous words. Sin. The awful things we humans think, say, and do that doesn’t please our Holy God and Father in heaven. Jesus died for the inward “ick” that Easter pretties, pictures, hats, and bows cannot truly cover up. Jesus paid our debt on the cross…

And rose victoriously to prove it! The very fact that He’s alive means we can have victory IN JESUS over the power of sin in our lives. We can trade wretched hearts for ones made righteous IN JESUS. Swap heinous thoughts for heavenly ones. Exchange poisonous remarks for praiseworthy encouragement.
6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Romans 5:6

“Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 15:55-57
Have you made the trade with Jesus? Does your Easter dress hide any inward “ick”? As Lysa TerKeurst would say, “We’re made for MORE than that.” I urge you to do the swap with Jesus.

Sisters, don’t you think our Easter pretties will wear much better when our inward “ick” has been cleansed from within us? Just the thought of that brings me peace. And then I realize, it’s not just a thought. My heart is at rest because I’ve made the trade. Thank you, Jesus.

Lord Jesus, you’re alive! You reign victorious! You conquered the power of sin and death. You have made a way for my inward “ick” and that of anyone who will believe in your name to be washed clean. Forgiven. To be made new. Thank you, Lord, for trading your righteousness for our wretchedness. You died for what’s underneath the Easter dress, and made a way for us to live here and now victoriously! You are our peace. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment