TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, April 4, 2011

What Makes our House a Home: "Beauty and Orders" – Atmosphere of Warm Welcome

“Work. So much work to do! Dishes, laundry, housework, homework, work-work…” It doesn’t work itself out without our help, either. Add dependents into the mix, and work compounds!

Can you relate? Do you ever wonder if it’s possible to make our houses a home, to ENJOY the blessings of love, marriage, children, family, memories, and so on… when there’s SO MUCH WORK?

Yes, I do believe it’s so.
A major way I find the freedom to enjoy the blessing of my family is through what I call:
“Beauty and Orders.”

Beauty certainly encompasses the fruit of work done in our homes like straightening, arranging, decluttering, organizing, cleaning, etc. It includes the “rare and beautiful treasures” we purchase and display in our dwelling. The sum of our effort and special effects combine to create a warm welcome I think of as “atmosphere.” I believe that merging hard work and a lovely environment hosts what is far better than work or “stuff” alone.

Let me interject that the achievement of “atmosphere” does not mean perfection. Oh, how I continue to learn this lesson personally! Beauty doesn’t mean untouchable, non-livable, or sterile. After all, I aim to create a HOME not a museum. The space we call just that, our HOME, is meant for gathering, for sharing, for enjoying, for laughter, and for relating.

Yet, managing my home requires orders to produce an atmosphere of beauty. Planning my daily work, disciplining myself to pursue the plan, and setting small goals assist the process. Almost every day I make a list to keep me organized. Far too many details float through my mind. These minutias can forego treading mental water if I simply jot them down.

A list serves exceptionally well to both guide and develop our household “servants team,” too. Delegating chores/jobs to my children, and working as a team on house projects greatly assists my effort to create a warm welcome. It teaches my children that results don’t just happen. Food doesn’t magically appear in the pantry or on plates absent of work. Clean baseball uniforms and underwear don’t, “Poof!” show up in drawers without some washing/drying TLC. These lessons will benefit my kids (and, Lord willing, their future spouses) when they leave our nest.

The harvest of hard work together yields fruit for our family. What a treat it is to eat the fruit of our labor—usually, extra time to spend extra time not doing anymore work. When my kids and I accomplish our daily work, we reserve the option for family fun, playing, laughing together, perhaps a trip to the park or hike on a trail, a board game, or another historical round of hide-and-go-seek. Besides, part of the fun of working together is chatting up what we'll get to do when we're done working!

Now that’s beautiful, I think. Work has its place. Things have their place. Best of all, the people I love and call my family have a home that’s in working order. We are blessed.

Share your thoughts and tips with me.
How does your family accomplish beauty and order?

No comments:

Post a Comment