TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Friday, May 6, 2011

Celebrating Mothers: Little Mama

I learned the meaning of "Outpatient Surgery" this week after a minor surgical procedure. As soon as I could, ahem, use the facility, "Out, patient!" Then, once I arrived home, I was a very knocked out  (Read: lethargic) patient for a solid day and a half. The good news is, even though this mama was out of commission and a patient, my beloved mother, Little Mama as I call her, was here to run the show.

We're celebrating mothers here on Today's Lady Virtue this month. How fitting that today I'll tell you some of the reasons I love my own mother.
 "Honor your father and mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
1) She gave me life and birth! As Little Mama says, "Childbirth is the only miracle that God and I did together." If I weren't here, my husband wouldn't have this girl as "his girl." And this world would be absent of Matthew, David, Samuel, Rachel, and Jonathan Lee Cochran.

2) We laugh together until we hurt. From inside jokes to late night delirium, my mother and I share hysterical laughter on a regular basis. It keeps us close at heart!

3) She models mother skills for me. I've learned so many mothering skills from my Little Mama. Twelve years ago, she helped me train my newborn baby to sleep through the night. I watched her and learned how to stimulate and interact with even a young infant, drawing  out his personality. She taught me how to spread cream cheese and swoosh a toilet. The list goes on.
4) She is FOR me! My Little Mama and I do many things differently. We have unique personalities and gifts. While we have always had a close relationship, we've endured growing pains, especially when I was a young mother. Assuredly, the Lord has used these trials to refine my character. Nevertheless, my Little Mama supports where the Lord leads my husband and me. Homeschooling. Writing. Large family...to name a few. I realize this is a blessing, for which I am thankful.

5) She's my Friday! Robinson Crusoe had his helper, "Friday." He was Crusoe's right-hand man. Likewise, my Little Mama's my right-hand woman! When she visits she takes such good care of me, my kiddos, and our household. From emptying the dishwasher, laundering, cooking, and hide-and-go-seeking, my Friday dots "i's" and crosses "t's." "I'm happy to serve," she remarks as I make a bee line for the auto shop. We joke, "I'll get more of a break waiting on the inspection than staying home!" 

Now, my Little Mama isn't perfect. She's a sinful human just like you and me. But I love her.  Jesus loves her.  His precious blood washes us clean. So, I'm grateful to God for my mother. And my children are blessed to have her as their grandmother, "Mimi." No matter how old I get, it seems I never outgrow the need for my mama, my Little Mama.

I don't know where you stand with your mother today. I don't know each of your story. Regardless, I encourage you to find one thing you're thankful for in your mother. Celebrate that sole blessing pure and simply today. Thank God for mothers!



No comments:

Post a Comment