TLV Website: Now LIVE!

www.todaysladyvirtue.com

Skip over here to receive:

- Biblical and relevant blogposts for women of the 21st century

- Purpose, Perspective, Practical help

- My Poetry and Recipes

- Quarterly Newsletter and Resources--FREE!

- Connect and share stories with a virtuous community





Welcome Readers!

Welcome to my blog: Today's Lady Virtue. This site is for women--wives, mothers, singles, widows, family, friends, etc.! My heart is to share loving encouragement coupled with timeless truths from God's Word, the Bible, to enlighten, uplift, and empower women of today. At Today's Lady Virtue we're about "Reclaiming Virtuous Womanhood today the Time-tested Way!" Here you will find a variety of posts from poems, to "Put into Practice" principles, to pictures and more! I invite you to voyage with me on the quest to become Today's Lady Virtue.







Monday, May 9, 2011

Celebrating Mothers: My Naomi

I think back to the day we sat together, swinging on her white porch swing. Questions—many of them—swirled in my young mind. Remember: I was going to be a mama, and I needed to understand. So much to discover, to learn. I was eager to know. And I asked deep. Truth. Real answers. That’s what my soul needed, so I pried, and she poured.

Who did I ask? My mother-in-law. Yes, my mother-IN-LOVE. The Lord has blessed us with a kindred spirit in Christ. I remember the story of Ruth in the Bible. I call her “My Naomi.” And I look up to her.

16 But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.” Ruth 1:16-17
Today, I’m honored to tell you some things I love about and have learned from My Naomi. She’s one of the older women in my life that I deeply respect. Like my own Little Mama, and myself, my Naomi is imperfect. We’re flawed women, washed by the precious blood of Jesus. We’re WIPS (Works in P R O G R E S S). But we’re available to the Lord, and His Spirit works within our hearts, molding us more Christ like.

1) Fear the Lord! – Fall breezes blew fresh truth on my hungry heart as we swung on the porch swing. My Naomi answered my questions, deep. She pointed me to the Holy Father. My heart fell, awestruck, as she wove scripture and Bible stories to depict the unblemished--worthy of all wonder, awe, and reverence—character of God. It changed my life. My worldview would never be the same.

2) Feed an Army! Today I’m the family chef, but that wasn’t always so. I didn’t know how to cook when I got married. But I learned! By watching and serving alongside my MIL, my first dinners were for an “army”! Now, it seems I feed my own several times every day!

3) Back it with the Bible: I understood from my MIL’s example how to back up my beliefs with biblical truths. Those “Aha!” moments came when she’d draw practical life application from Bible characters and stories. These thought-processes were revealed in ordinary and daily life. Hmmm. I’d not really thought about why I believed what I believed (worldview) until I then. Now I know how to think things through, and back beliefs with truth. My Naomi modeled for me how to sift thoughts through scripture. Oh the freedom, peace, and POWER!

4) Make a Person Feel Special: If you’ve ever been to her home, you know. My Naomi knows how to create a warm, inviting environment. She uses her gift of hospitality to bless others. Fantastic food, fragrant flowers, scented candles, and calming music serve as vehicles to transport her guests into a place of peace and rest. Curl up with a blanket and a cup of coffee. Expect a meaningful conversation. Make another memory. Thank you, Lord, for My Naomi!
I don’t know your story, if you have a MIL, or what your relationship is like. However, I do encourage you today, find one thing to thank God for about your MIL this day. And pray for her. It’s hard to be mad at someone when you pray for them! :)

Related Posts on "Celebrating Mothers":

2 comments:

  1. too sweet! I have fond memories of her hospitality too....I remember coming to the house to study with Jenni and she'd bring up a pot of coffee and some munchies. Fun times. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fitting to honor your mother and mother-in-love! Thanks for sharing who they are to you with us. Blessed.

    ReplyDelete